Kelly and her mum made this delicious vegetarian mushroom and walnut lentil loaf for me. Super easy to make (even I could have done it I reckon) and so good that I thought I would share it here.
- 1 Cup Walnuts, dry roasted
- 400g tin of brown lentils
- 2 cups diced button mushrooms
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, Finley chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 3 cups breadcrumbs (made from stale whole grain bread)
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Grab a loaf tin and line with baking paper.
- Zuzzzz the walnuts in a food processor until the consistency of bread crumbs.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the drained lentils.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan.
- Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, chilli, cumin and coriander. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Let the mix cool slightly and then mix in the breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add to the mix.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin and cook for 35 minutes OR until set.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Serve warm or cold.
I like the walnut and mushroom loaf served cold with a fresh salad, crusty bread and some homemade tomato relish. Or perhaps a little chilli sauce.
Wash the whole thing down with an ice-cold beer and some good company. Guaranteed to take the sting out of these blistering hot summer evenings. Enjoy.