The simple things in life
Are not things
Nor are they simple
I have written before about being a coffee snob. And its funny to me how such a simple thing as drinking coffee can get all complicated.
My own coffee snob-jectory has followed this convoluted path. At each step I felt I was at the apex of my game:
- Instant coffee with milk and sugar.
- Instant coffee with milk.
- Flat white using expensive espresso machine and electric grinder.
- Flat white using a Nespresso machine (Arpeggio capsules to be precise)
- Long black using Nespresso.
- Long black using French Press.
And now I have become a huge fan of the simple, analogue pour-over. Strong, hot, and black.
Only…just a second… not so simple:
Trendy glass and brushed aluminium hand grinder.
Premium single source Arabica beans.
Eco-friendly filter papers.
Goose neck kettle with built in thermometer.
A never ending quest for the perfect bespoke coffee mug.
Such snob-wankery. Guilty as charged.
PS yes, I am having Vegamite on toast with my long black. What of it?