still plenty of time
The DOOMSDAY clock has recently been adjusted to stand at 90 seconds to midnight. It has never been this close.
What is the Doomsday clock?
- 1972 = 12 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
- 1990 = 10 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
- 1995 = 14 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
- 2002 = 7 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
- 2012 = 5 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
- 2018 = 2 MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT
- 2020 = 100 SECONDS TO MIDNIGHT
- 2023 = 90 SECONDS TO MIDNIGHT
Ok, 90 seconds. Bullet point the reasons for me.
- Ukraine war. Potential for Russia to use tactical or other nuclear weapons.
- Expansion of nucular arsenals in North Korea and Iran.
- China’s lack of transparency with its nuclear expansion. Estimated to increase fivefold by 2035.
- Long range (inercontinental) missile testing by North Korea. Prepareing to conduct seventh nuclear weapon test.
- India (160 warheads) and Pakistan (similar number) both modernising and developing existing weapons systems.
- US and China in new “third age” arms race of nuclear weapons.
Listen, now you are depressing me. Can’t you just review a Netflix movie or something?
Sure. How about this new Reality TV series: The future of the world is looking pretty fricking sketchy right now.
Leave a Reply